Coal Washing is a process of separation mainly based on difference in Specific Gravity of Coal and associated impurities like Shale, Sand & Stones etc so that we get relatively pure marketable coal without changing its physical properties.
The Washed Coking Coal is meant for Steel Plants. The Washed Power Coal/Washed Non-Coking Coal/Middlings is dispatched to various Power Houses.
|Washery||System of Washing|
|Dugda-II||HM Cyclone (13-0.5mm), Flotation (-0.5mm)|
|Bhojudih||Deshaling Jig (75-0mm), HM Bath (75-25mm),|
|Batac Jig (25-0.5mm), Flotation (-0.5mm)|
|Patherdih||Deshaling Jig(75-0mm), HM Bath(75-13mm),|
|HM Cyclone (13-0.5mm)|
|Sudamdih||2 Stage HM Cyclone (37-0.5mm), Flotation (-0.5mm)|
|Moonidih||2 Stage HM Cyclone (30-0.5mm),W/O Cyclone(-0.5mm)|
|Mohuda||HM Cyclone (25-0.5mm), Flotation (-0.5mm)|
|Madhuban||Batac Jig (13-0.5mm), Flotation(-0.5mm)|
|Name of Washery||Year of Commissioning||Operable Capacity(MTY)|
A. Coking Coal:
|TOTAL (Coking Coal)||11.63|
|B. Non-Coking Coal:|
|1||Dugda – I||1961/1998||1.00|
|TOTAL (Non-Coking Coal)||1.00|
|Dugda-I stoped since Oct.’96 for safety reasons and its Sink Upgradation Section is being used for production of washed power coal w.e.f. ’98.|
|Madhuban Washery was originally designed for washing Coking Coal.Due to non-availability of Coking Coal because of stoppage of Block-II OCP, the Washery was temporarily converted for Washing Non-Coking Coal which has been reverted back to washing coking coal again from October 2008.|
|Modernization of Washeries:|
|►||Revival Plan of BCCL provides Rs. 125 Crores for Renovation of Washeries.|
|►||Study was undertaken by CMPDI for performance improvement.|
|►||In the 1st Phase, the Revival Schemes involving an expenditure of Rs. 54.80 Crores has been approved by BCCL Board for Dugda-I, Dugda-II, Bhojudih, Sudamdih, Moonidih & Mohuda Washeries and they are under various stages of implementation.|
PERFORMANCE OF BCCL WASHERIES
|(Fig in ‘ 000 T)|
|Year||R/C Feed||W/C Prodn.||W/C Desp.|
|a) Washed Coal :||(Fig in ‘ 000 T)|
|B S L||559.7||670.7||441.5|
|B S P||353.2||353.4||451.7|
|D S P||222.5||313.2||231.2|
|R S P||291.7||304.7||261.5|
|b) W/Power Coal :||(Fig in ‘ 000 T)|
|c) Middlings :||(Fig in ‘ 000 T)|
|DESPATCH OF SLURRY & REJECTS:||(Fig in ‘ 000 T)|
Performance Highlights of the Year 2008-09
The company has concluded the year 2008-09 with excellent performance, as mentioned hereunder:-
- Production of Washed Power Coal increased from 7.9 LT in FY 2007-08 to 8.7 LT in the FY 2008-09 i.e. a growth of about 10%.
- Dispatches of Washed Power Coal also registered a growth of about 7% over Washed Power Coal dispatches during the year 2006-07.
- Increase in Stock Liquidation during 2008-09 as compared to 2007-08. The Stock liquidation during 2008-09 valued Rs. 40.01 Crores as compared to Rs. 5.94 Crores during 2007-08.
- BCCL Washeries (other than Madhuband) have recorded an increase in profit of 55.6% during 2008-09 as compared to 2007-08.
- Increase in the dispatch/sale of Slurry during 2008-09 as compared to 2007-08.
- All Washeries continue to maintain Closed Water Circuit and “Zero Discharge” is ensured.
- Employees’ welfare, safety, training and community development continued to be the other focus areas.
PROFIT/LOSS STATEMENT OF BCCL WASHERIES
Amt. in Rs. Lakhs
* The loss of Patherdih includes Rs. 24.0 Crores
provision for stock deterioration.
PROPOSED WASHERIES AT BCCL
|Name of the Washery||Capacity (Mtpa)|
ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS Major Pollution Control Measures taken in BCCL Washeries:
- Effluent treatment / Re-circulation arrangement
- Water Sprinkling in a radius of nearly 2 km of the Washery
- Tree Plantation around Washery premises and colonies done every year.
- Rain Water Harvesting
Other key activities for effective pollution control:
- Systematic and scientific excavation of the slurry ponds to make the space available for settling of fines in the ponds / dyke area itself and recycle back the clear water through pumps for re-use in the plant as process water.
- The recycling pumps have been fully renovated and are operating under strict supervision to avoid any out flow of even clear water.
- Market has been found for sale of old stock of slurry of the Washery.
Disposal of Washery By-products during the period 06-07 to 08-09 has been as follows:-
Capital replacements wherever required in the existing system of pollution control measure will be carried out.
Fine coal circuit will be modernized with automation and instrument control system.
General awareness for eco-friendly environment among all concerned.
Social Welfare programmes organised at various hospitals / Dispensaries
during 2008-09 are as follows:
|Name of Unit||Camp Organised Date|
|Washery Division Dispensary||i.||Hypertension Camp||4.12.08|
|ii.||Village Health Checkup camp||22.12.08|
|iii.||Health awareness camp||9.01.09|
|iv.||Aids awareness camp||19.01.09|
|v.||Mobile van-village health checkup done in different villages.||4.02.09 to 06.02.09|
|Dugda Coal Washery||i.||Baby Show||12.02.09|
|ii.||School Health Checkup Programme||26.02.09|
|iii.||Health Awareness Camp||28.02.09|
|iv.||Wellness Clinic (CSR) at Hospital||Daily|
|v.||Mobile van-village health checkup done in different villages & medicine distributed||17.02.09 to 21.02.09|
|Bhojudih Coal Washery||i.||Health Awareness Camp||14.12.08 to 09.01.09|
|ii.||Aids awareness programme||27.01.09|
|iii.||BP checkup Camp||12.02.09|
|Patherdih Coal Washery||i.||BP checkup Camp||10.01.09|
|ii.||Diabetes detection Camp||15.11.08|
|iii.||Mobile van-village health checkup done in different villages.||30.12.08 to 31.12.08|